Date of birth
One allegation of rape and numerous allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault from co-workers, travelers with his European Mennonite heritage tour business called TourMagination, and fellow church members, most recently at College Mennonite Church in Goshen, IN.
A November 7, 2016 letter addressed to a MAP researcher from attorney Matthew J. Anderson, retained by Gleysteen, states in reference to the documentation below that “the claims against [Gleysteen] are completely without merit.”
In April 2017, after Gleysteen was found by College Mennonite Church to have been stalking a a church employee, Goshen College reissued a 1995 ban on Gleysteen from campus and notified the Goshen Police Department. The church followed in December 2017, banning Gleysteen from church property. Documentation posted below.
Pastor Marty Lehman, in a statement to MAP posted below, describes how Gleysteen had been violating his behavioral agreement to not touch women at church “for years.” She states, “Our attorney reminded us that we are liable should anything happen with visitors or any of our members–since we knew about Jan but have allowed him to continue to attend church. That was the turning point for us and when we decided he could no longer enter our building.”
Church-related positions held
- Started a Mennonite heritage tour business called TourMagination in 1970 and led tours through the early 90s. Gleysteen specialized as a guide and interpreter at sites of Anabaptist-Mennonite beginnings in Europe.
- Worked at Mennonite Publishing House in Scottdale, PA, for four decades, as artist, illustrator, and editor.
Current employment/location (as of 2016)
- Retired. Living in Goshen, IN, at Greencroft senior residential home.
- Letter from Leonard Gross to Walter S. Friesen. Aug. 11, 1992.
- Letter from Nelson Waybill to John Sharp and James E. Horsch, December 8, 1993.
- Statement from Mennonite Publishing House employee, December 8, 1993. (used with permission from the author)
- Letter from David Garber (former editor at Mennonite Publishing House) to Publishers Management Team of Mennonite Publishing House, December 8, 1993. (used with permission from the author)
- Statement from Irene Lapp to Mennonite Publishing House and Mennonite Church of Scottdale, December 10, 1993. (used with permission from the author)
- Email exchange between Jack Scott and Robert Ramer, February 9, 1994.
- “Gleysteen leaves publishing house amidst findings of misconduct.” Mennonite Reporter, February 21, 1994.
- Checklist of sexual actions, accompanied by correspondence between John Sharp, Kim Brenneman, and anonymous pastor. February 8, 1994 through April 14, 1994.
- Letter from Nelson Waybill to Jan Gleysteen, April 25, 1994.
- Letter from Irene Lapp, October 21, 1994. (used with permission from the author)
- Letter from Mennonite Publishing House employee, October 25, 1994. (used with permission from the author)
- Accountability group report – March 25, 1995.
- Scottdale accountability group response to Leonard Gross, – September 8, 1994.
- Dogwoods support group report, – September 4, 1994.
- Goshen College no-trespass letter, April 25, 2017.
- College Mennonite Church letter to congregation, December 6, 2017.
- Statement to MAP from pastor Marty Lehman, College Mennonite Church, July 2018.