James Daniel Arbaugh
Date of birth
August 30, 1977
James Arbaugh admitted to “engaging in illicit sexual conduct” with 21 or more boys while traveling in Haiti as a Mennonite missionary, according to assistant U.S. Attorney Jeb Terrien. Arbaugh would regularly visit remote towns and villages throughout the Caribbean nation, where he would befriend children and “evangelize and show Christian-themed movies” to residents, according to Terrien.
Church-related positions held
- Regularly traveled to Haiti from 2008 to 2017 working as a missionary with Walking Together for Christ, Haiti
- Attended Mountain View Mennonite Church in Lyndhurst, Virginia
- According to the Walking Together for Christ Haiti website of November 24, 2017, Arbaugh’s mission work was supported by members from four Virginia Mennonite Conference congregations: Lindale Mennonite, Zion Hill Mennonite, Waynesboro Mennonite, and Mountain View Mennonite.
Current employment/location (as of 2016)
- Held without bond at the Central Virginia Regional Jail awaiting sentencing on June 13, 2018. He faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- “VA Mennonite missionary charged with child sex crime,” SNAP Survivors Network press release, Dec. 1, 2017
- “Mennonite missionary charged with child abuse,” The Mennonite, Dec. 1, 2017
- “He groomed Haitian boys for sex for years, feds say. Now the Stuarts Draft missionary is in custody,” News Leader, Dec. 7, 2017
- “Former Missionary Admits To Molesting Boy,” Daily News Record, Feb. 6, 2018
- “Man pleads guilty to sex with boys on Haiti missionary visits,” WFIR, Feb. 6, 2018
- “Virginia Man Pleads Guilty to Traveling to Haiti and Engaging in Illicit Sexual Conduct,” U.S. Department of Justice, Feb. 6, 2018