Carl Robert Showalter
Date of birth
Allegations that he coerced patients to masturbate in front of him in counseling sessions and sometimes took pictures of them doing so. Described by Showalter as “masturbation therapy.” At least seven known victims.
Church-related positions held
- Psychiatrist in private practice in the Mennonite community of Harrisonburg, VA and for James Madison University; also a primary referral for Eastern Mennonite University students experiencing mental health challenges during the 70’s and 80’s.
Current employment/location (as of 2016)
- Retired, living in Harrisonburg, VA
- “Board pulls psychiatrist’s credentials: City doctor’s license suspended for using unproven treatments,” Harrisonburg Daily News Record, February 7, 1998.
- “State suspends psychiatrist’s license,” Richmond Times-Dispatch, February 6, 1998.
- “JMU psychiatrist’s license suspended,” The Breeze, James Madison University, February 12, 1998.
- “Counselor’s license is revoked: Evidence found in probe of co-worker,” Richmond Times-Dispatch, February 14, 1998.
- “Showalter to admit fraud: Harrisonburg psychiatrist to enter plea, lose license,” Harrisonburg Daily News-Record, November 18, 1998.
- “Psychiatrist pleads guilty to charges: Action means permanent loss of medical license,” Richmond Times-Dispatch, January 14, 1999.